PROGRAMS

We believe there are 5 major components in a successful hockey player:

1. Mental Attitude
2. Skating Agility & Power
3. Puck Skills
4. Team Skills
5. Personal Goals

These are individual skills necessary to be a complete hockey player:

1. Skating
2. Passing
3. Shooting
4. Checking & Body Positioning
5. Stickhandling


Ralph & Marty McSorley
Melbourne, Australia 2002

 

 

In our camps we teach all of these aspects of hockey. We can customize your clinic to be specific in one area or be an overview of all 5 aspects.

Instruction is available in lengths as short as a 1-hour private lesson all the way up to a multi-day team camp. Instruction is available for individual players as well as coaches, teams, organizations and parents who want to learn more about hockey. Please contact Barahona Hockey to discuss your needs and we can develop a program that suits you best.

 

Mental Attitude
There’s a saying at the professional level that 90% of the game is mental. Bottom line is that no matter how talented, even the best player can be the worst player if he’s not mentally prepared. This concept also applies to kids and adults playing at the amateur level. Players who desire to become better hockey players will execute better when thinking the game through. Mental attitude can go even further. You should always push yourself to learn something every time you step onto the ice or floor, and always do this with a positive attitude. Staying positive towards your teammates even when they make mistakes can make a world of difference for yourself and for team morale.

Skating Agility & Power
Skating is the single most important skill in hockey – after all, you’re doing it 100% of the time. All other hockey skills are easier to execute if you can skate without even thinking twice about it - basically it becomes a natural part of the game. Although power is an important aspect, it is not always necessary when skating – agility also lends importance. Having the ability to out maneuver your opponent can give you an edge that you never thought you had. In our skating clinics we cover both the power and agility of your skating stride. By combining increased power with more agility, you will outplay your opponent.

Puck Skills
The amount of time you are actually in possession of the puck is 10% or less per game. But what you do with the puck in that short time can make the difference between winning and losing. Controlling the puck is very important but not the only aspect of puck control. Stickhandling, shooting, dekeing, passing, and even flipping the puck are all skills to improve on. But the key to bettering your puck skills is knowing what you’re going to do with the puck before you get it. Although a difficult skill to teach, it can successfully be learned with experience.

Team Skills
Team skills are more than how you get along with your teammates - it’s also about reading and anticipating what your opponents are trying to do. Since you only possess the puck 10% of the time in a game, what do you do with the other 90%? This is where your ability to recognize when to be offensive or defensive comes into play. Knowing how to support your teammates on a breakout, knowing how to force when you're forechecking an opponent. Team skills also consist of line rushes for and against, like 2 on 1’s and 3 on 2’s etc. These are just a few of many drills that we will focus on in our special team practices.

Personal Goals
Every successful player needs to have a personal goal. It can be as simple as scoring one goal in a game or as large as making it to the NHL. They can be lofty, unthinkable dreams or just trying your best for your parents. Whatever it is, you should consistently set goals and make them personal to you. We at BARAHONA HOCKEY understand the power of dreams and want to help you achieve them. So never stop dreaming, because you just never know what can happen.